Brazafrica Decaf, Brazil/DRC/Ethiopia
Roast Level: Medium
Process: Natural/Fully Washed
Roaster's Notes: An interesting blend of coffee make up our latest decaf offering, bringing flavour notes of rose water and vanilla, coupled with a buttery pecan body. Decaffeinated using the CO2 process.
This Decaffeinated lot is a mix of eight different smallholder lots. This is a collection of 5 Brazilian estates, 1 group lot from the Democratic Republic of Congo and 2 group lots from Ethiopia. 8 of the 9 lots have been processed using the natural method, with just the Democratic Republic of Congo using the fully washed method. By mixing Brazilian estates with East African lots, we hope to create an exciting decaf blend.
One of the vital elements and most important compounds of our natural environment is carbon dioxide. It is in the air we breathe, it is the gas that makes mineral water effervescent and, by assimilation, enables plants to grow. It is also a highly selective solvent for caffeine. Based on this phenomenon, CR3 developed its Natural Liquid Carbon Dioxide Coffee Decaffeination Process. In this patented process, the natural carbon dioxide is used under sub-critical conditions, i.e. in a liquid state at low temperature and pressure (relative to the supercritical process). These particularly gentle process parameters, together with the good caffeine selectivity of CO2, guarantee a high retention rate of the coffee components responsible for aroma and taste. The process can be described in detail as follows:
The raw, unroasted coffee is moistened with water and put into a vessel where it is brought into contact with pressurised, liquid carbon dioxide. By circulation through the coffee, the carbon dioxide draws the caffeine out of the bean. In an evaporator, the caffeine precipitates out from the CO2 which, after evaporation and re-condensation, is pumped again into the vessel containing the coffee for a new cycle.
When the required residual caffeine level is reached, the CO2 circulation is stopped and the coffee is discharged into a drier where it is gently dried until it reaches the original moisture content. The coffee is then ready for roasting.
The specific characteristics of the CR3 Natural Liquid Carbon Dioxide Coffee Decaffeination Process are:
• The compounds responsible for the flavour and the taste in the roasted and brewed coffee, as well as the cell structure of the green and roasted bean, are left essentially intact. This is of clear benefit in fine, high-grade coffees.
• No health risk involved since the coffee is placed in contact with only 100% safe substances – the chemically inert (and completely evaporating) carbon dioxide, and pure water
• The extraction solvent is all-natural – an important aspect that represents a strong selling point (“Naturally Decaffeinated”)
• Certification as Organic and Kosher by the appropriate organisations/authorities
• A broad appeal that allows the roaster to offer a high-quality 99.9% caffeine-free decaffeinated coffee that will satisfy even the most discriminating taste